Thursday, June 27, 2013

more Dina love...

Honoré here: In my last post, I promised to share more face photos and information from Dina's encaustic tag book class. First, the faces:





I love and am inspired by each one and the entire Faces class  ~ in fact, I find that I cannot look at a magazine or a person on TV or in person without thinking: I can draw that face...I think. That thought may be a bit premature considering I've not actually taken pencil to paper since the class but I have been collecting faces. 

Dina suggested we build a reference library and I have: using my iPhone camera ; ripping out pictures from magazines; and gathering information from the Internet, books and DVDs. I ordered and received 100 Girls on Cheap Paper, a neat book and just downloaded from Interweave Press The Whimsical Face by Jane Davenport (you can take a quick preview of the DVD here).  I am so inspired that I've planned an "art afternoon" with my grand nieces for this Sunday (June 30); guess what's on the agenda?!

Regrettably I did not take Dina's Encaustic Tag Book class - and like the commercial that shows a woman kicking herself in the derriere, I could/did the same, after I saw some of the class' creations:






Not to be totally undone because I'd not signed up for the class, I did the next best thing and found an online tutorial that I share with you here (tho' minus instruction on using the encaustic medium: hot, melted beeswax - a quick search will turn up some more information, I'm sure) and a blog post from a participant at one of Dina's classes (note: not at The Queen's Ink) that adds a little more to the process. I'm pretty confident that with Dina's book: Art Journal Freedom and my experiences from the classes I've taken with her - all thanks to The Queen's Ink for bringing her to Maryland - I too will eventually make an encaustic tag book. It's on my agenda for the summer.

If you took either/both of the classes, we'd love to have you share your Dina love in the comments. What did you take away? What are you creating? 

Cheers~

PS. Dina hinted strongly that she'd be back to The Queen's Ink before 2013 ends. So I suggest you stay tuned via The Queen's Ink website/this blog. In the meantime, check out the summer classes on tap and take yourself on an artist's date to The Queen's Ink. I always find something new, exciting, inspiring...always!



1 comment:

  1. I took the Encaustic tag class and took everything away from it! I am not a stamper nor an inker and I fell in love with the whole process! I always thought that both would be too challenging for me and found that it really isn't; there are no mistakes and it's all art! I was encouraged to build up more supplies (stamps, inks and stencils), and came home and made more tags! I actually gave both kids a mini class when we had a rainy "Mom I'm bored" day recently! Do hope to see Miss Dina again at Queen's Ink!!!

    ReplyDelete